ABD Local co-ordinator: No-one at present. Join us!
Sandwell is an metropolitan borough council in the West Midlands to the west of Birmingham. It encompasses the towns of Great Barr, Oldbury, Rowley Regis, Smethwick, Tipton, Wednesbury, and West Bromwich. The M5/M6 junction, Rayhall Interchange, is in Sandwell, and is arguably the area's best known landmark.
Scott Arms — Bus Lanes and 30 Limits Planned
The main dual carriageways around M6 Junction 7 and the Scott Arms junction in Great Barr are to be brought to a standstill by bus lanes and 30mph speed limits. The roads affected are:
Links and Resources
The ABD considers there is no justification whatsoever for reducing the speed limit on these major dual carriageways, and that the bus lanes will bring traffic on the A34 to a standstill.
- 30 limit on A4041 Newton Road 165m west of Scott Arms junction (both carriageways)
- 30 limit on A4041 Queslett Road 320m east of Scott Arms junction (eastbound only because the westbound carriageway is in Birmingham!)
- 30 limit on A34 Birmingham Road north from Scott Arms to the Walsall boundary 1km north of the M6 (clearly a political location not a road safety one!)
- 30 limit on A34 Walsall Road south from Scott Arms to the Birmingham boundary (about 300m and again clearly political).
- Bus lanes on the A34 north and south of the Scott Arms junction.
Object to these proposals now by writing to:
Neeraj Sharma, Head of Legal Services, Sandwell Council House, Freeth Street, Oldbury, West Midlands, B69 3JE.
You can email this department using Legal&Democratic@sandwell.gov.uk
Hospital Parking Rip-Off
Patients and visitors needing to park at Sandwell General and City Hospitals have been charged £10 for 24 hours. In response to public complaints the hospitals have now introduced a £1 per visit charge for regular patients.
The ABD belives hospital parking should be free for patients, visitors and staff, though measures to restrict parking to such persons are acceptable.
Elsewhere on the ABD website:
E&S = Express & Star