Pre-Budget Statement: Green or Brown?
Clean family cars could be attacked in another WMD war based on sexed up eco-dossiers.
The same Government that brought us the war on Iraq, justified by non-existent Weapons of Mass Destruction, now plans another futile and costly war on climate change justified by computer modelled Weather of Mass Destruction.
ABD spokesman Paul Biggs comments,
"We strongly urge Gordon Brown to resist temptation, by refusing to impose further unjustified VED or other tax increases on family cars, including estates, people carriers and 4x4's. Over 4 billion years of cyclical warming and cooling have not been driven by cars or carbon dioxide. The UK should not become the first unilateral economic Lemming over the climate control cliff. No sexed up report from the EU or indeed the UK can overturn a lack of credible data, regardless of what computer GIGO may say."
The ABD continues to campaign for policies based on objective rather than politicised science, and makes the following points:
- All new car engines comply with the latest super-clean Euro IV emission standards.
- Carbon Dioxide (CO2) is not a pollutant but an essential trace gas needed for plants, trees and crops to grow.
- In his report for Gordon Brown commissioned by Gordon Brown, which provided a basis for further tax hikes from Gordon Brown, Stern used flawed, extreme computer modelled temperature scenarios that the House of Lords Select Committee on Economic Affairs has serious concerns over (*).
- Drivers are already paying £240 per tonne of CO2 emitted via fuel tax, 5 times the $85(£44) recommend for a carbon tax in The Stern Review(**).
- The UK produces only 2% of global man-made CO2 emissions. If the UK reduced CO2 emissions to zero NOW, they would be replaced by emissions from economic growth in China within a year.
- Roger Pielke Sr, a respected Climatolgist of 30 years experience has concluded that:
1. Attempts to significantly influence regional and local-scale climate based on controlling CO2 emissions alone is an inadequate policy for this purpose.
2. IPCC Reports have overstated the effect of the increase in CO2 relative to other human climate influences on global warming, and more generally, on climate variability and change. Increased atmospheric CO2 may have contributed to 0.16C of the assumed 0.6C rise in global average temperatures.
- Scientist Nir Shaviv has published a calculation showing that the cosmic rays-clouds-solar-climate link could account for most of the 20th century warming.
- Henrik Svensmark has recently published experimental evidence supporting the cosmic ray-climate link, a relatively new area of enquiry that the IPCC seem to have ignored in spite of both contemporary and historical evidence of its importance.
ABD Environment spokesman Ben Adams concludes,
"Once, we were told we had only 45 minutes warning of WMD in the hands of a terrorist enemy. Now we have been told we only have 10 to 15 years to deal with the latest WMD — weather of mass destruction — which we are also told is conveniently in the hands of the EU's politicians. Both of these scare stories represent febrile inventions based on politicised information. In fact, when any politician tells you that they will control the climate if you pay them more motoring taxes, the only realistic response is to laugh out loud."
Notes for Editors